IST is an internationally recognised and ISO 17025 accredited test house, offering a comprehensive range of specialist mechanical tests for all types of springs and non-spring components. A certificate of conformance from IST gives you complete assurance that your springs are up to the mark and enhances customer satisfaction. In addition, IST’s unique facilities can be used on a sub-contact basis for component development to assist the introduction of new and improved products.
Spring LoadĀ Testing
Load Test conditions
- All dimensional parameters, using modern digital metrology equipment.
- Loads (compression and extension) from 0.2N to 50,000N (5 tonnes).
- Compression spring off-axis loads up to 2,000N.
- Torques up to 1,350Nm.
- Elevated and sub-zero testing.
- Long-term load stability testing (relaxation testing).
Spring Fatigue Testing
Our laboratories contain a unique range of both static and dynamic testing equipment, much of which is designed and built in-house to fulfill the most exacting accuracy requirements. All testing is undertaken by technical staff with a specialist knowledge of the spring industry.
Dynamic test conditions
The specifications below are for compression and extension springs, which are the most common type we test. However, we can also test torsion, spiral and clock springs up to 100 Nm of torque.
- Up to 40,000N load.
- Test strokes up to 250mm.
- Test speeds up to 3,000 cycles per minute.
- Special environments, such as high temperature, low temperature, corrosive etc., can be established.
Spring Failure Analysis
Spring Failure Analysis
Fast, accurate diagnosis and prevention service
Where else, in the world, can you find a fast, accurate, independent analysis of the reasons for spring failure be obtained?
IST offers a comprehensive spring failure analysis service for both springs and non spring components to spring manufacturers, material suppliers and spring users all over the world. This specialist service is covered by internationally recognised (ISO 17025) UKAS and ISO 9001 accreditation.
- Raw material problem?
- Poor spring making?
- Design error?
- Abuse in service?
- Defect in the wire?
- Scratch from coiling?
- Substandard shot peening?
- Corrosion in service?
- Operating stresses too high?
- Poor cleaning practice
- Electroplating inappropriate steel?
- De-embrittlement incorrectly applied?
- Corrosion in service?
Investigations are supervised by highly experienced technical staff with a specialist knowledge of materials and applications. The laboratory has examined failed springs from all over the world. IST reports include a diagnosis of the cause of failure and offer expert advice on how to reduce the risk of further failures.
This confidential service includes the following features:
Establish the cause of failure:
- Defective raw material.
- Inappropriate design.
- Manufacturing defects.
- Unforeseen service or environmental effects.
- Abuse in service.
- Photography of relevant features may be viewed online by clients.
- Optical metallography to identify structure and surface quality.
- Examination of operating stresses.
- Raw material chemical analysis and mechanical testing.
- Scanning electron microscopy to identify fracture mechanisms.
- Residual stress determination.
- EDX analysis
Those techniques likely to pinpoint the cause of failure are selected upon receipt of samples and a competitively priced, no obligation quotation is immediately supplied. Within 5 days (2 if our priority service is requested) a failure diagnosis will be discussed with the customer by telephone / fax or email. A detailed report, including certification and photographic evidence is mailed and / or e-mailed on completion.
Spring Material Testing
Material Testing Services are available for both springs and non-spring components to both Member and Non-Member companies world-wide (Member Discounts Apply on all material testing services). All testing is covered by IST’s (ISO 17025) UKAS accreditation and, where appropriate, compliance with specification will be certified.
Work is undertaken by qualified technical staff with specialist knowledge of the spring industry.
- Tensile testing of wire.
- Torsion testing of wire.
- Optical metallography for structure, surface quality and hardness.
- Bend, twist and wrap tests.
- Coating thickness determination.
- Relaxation and fatigue testing.
- Neutral salt spray.
- Humidity exposure.
- Unique FRACMAT wire coilability test (Not covered by UKAS accreditation).
- Fatigue testing of spring components.
- Evaluation of new spring materials.
- Evaluation of corrosion protection systems.
- Comparison with existing data.