The independent, ISO 17025 accredited facilities at IST’s head office in Sheffield have been designed especially to determine the fitness for purpose of springs. Our testing services offer analysis for each stage of the production value chain – material, design and manufacture.
We can test all springtypes at our extensive static and fatigue test labs, covering a wide range of materials and sizes under a range of conditions. Our experienced and knowledgeable staff have access to state-of-the-art facilities for metallurgical analysis.
Our testing capabilities are:
- Load testing to 100 kN
- Torque testing to 100 Nm
- Fatigue testing up to 40 kN
- Failure investigation
- Metallurgical analysis
- Tensile Testing
- Corrosion Testing
- Mechanical testing
- Hardness testing
Load and Torque Testing:
Load and torque testing for both spring and non-spring components.
Our calibrated range is 0.4 N to 100 kN in both compression and extension. We also offer non-axial load testing.
We are able to test from 0.005 Nm to 100 Nm, including manufacture of custom fixtures where necessary.
- At IST we have an independent, dedicated spring fatigue testing laboratory where we perform life cycle proof testing. We have the following services available: • Up to 40 kN load, with stroke up to 250 mm
- Cycle rates of 50Hz / 3000 RPM (maximum safe speed of test depends on spring design)
- Testing at up to 180ºC or sub-zero temperatures
- Load testing before and after is available.
- Torsion fatigue testing is also available, including conventional torsion, spiral and clock spring types.
We can undertake detailed failure analysis to determine the underlying cause of a product’s failure and provide recommendations to prevent reoccurrence. We also provide chemical analysis to check your raw materials composition.
A visual inspection is offered at no cost, we will then recommend whether further investigation is worthwhile.
If you would like to come and take a look around, please contact Chris Hopkins on email@example.com who will be more than happy to assist.
See more about our testing services here.