Spring Calculator Professional FAQs
The management of the Floating Licence is carried out by a piece of software called a Licence Server. A licence server is essential for all installations of SCP that use a Floating Licence. A licence server is NOT required for a Fixed Licence installation of SCP. There are three ways in which this can be installed:
- The licence server can be installed on a desktop computer alongside an installation of the main SCP software.
- The licence server can be installed on a Windows server machine or on a desktop machine that is not running SCP.
- We can, for a small fee, host a licence server for you on our servers. If you wish to pursue this option, please get in touch.
However you install your Licence server, it must be available via a network connection.
- An old version of Windows; SCP Version 2 has been tested on all versions of Windows from Windows 8 onwards. We only support versions of Windows that Microsoft themselves currently support. Please note: Windows 7 is no longer actively supported.
- No network connection or firewalled computer. The software may require network access during installation and will require network access during the licensing process.
- Permissions issues. You may be trying to install the software from an account that doesn’t have sufficient access rights on the computer. We recommend installing the software with an account with local Administrator privileges. In some circumstances an actual Local Administrator Account may be needed – consult your IT department.
- There may be insufficient space on the local hard disc. This is not a common issue.
- You’re attempting to install the software on a network drive. This isn’t supported.
- You’re attempting to install and licence the software on a Virtual Machine. Whilst it is possible to do this, most licences are set NOT to permit this.
If none of these possibilities fit your circumstances, please contact us.
To answer your question as quickly as possible, it helps us enormously if you can provide the following information when you contact us:
- Windows Version
- Screenshot of any error message. If this isn’t possible, a description of what happens is helpful.
- If possible, try to find out whether the error occurs on other PCs.
We will then contact you to resolve the problem.
- If you’re running a trial version of the software, you may receive this message when the trial has expired.
- You may also receive this request if you’re using a time-limited licence that has expired.
- The software may be unable to contact the licence server, or the licence has been revoked/cancelled.
- You will get this error if you are trying to run an un-licenced copy of the software.
If you are sure that your licence is up to date, please contact us. When you contact us, please send us the following information:
- If known, your licence key.
- The email address that your licence key was sent to.
- Windows Version.
If you wish to buy a licence for SCP, please contact us.
If you have specific questions about our equations or data, don’t hesitate to contact us, and we will do our best to help.
When you purchase SCP, you get one year of free software support (maintenance). This gives you access to new versions of the software and also support using the software to enter your spring designs and validating designs.
If you require help interpreting the results beyond what information is given by the software, you’re welcome to contact us.
If you need technical help but are currently not paying for maintenance, we can either:
- Quote you a one-off fee for consultancy in validating your design
- Help you get back into maintenance so you can continue with technical support
You might also like to consider taking one of our Spring Design training courses.