What is Shot Peening?
Shot peening is a method of cold working the surface of a metal components by the impact of a stream of spherical particles. The shot is propelled at the components surface by means of air or discharged by centrifugal force from an impellor wheel. When the shot particles strike a components surface, they cause the surface to plastically deform, with hammer head like impressions into the surface.
Benefits of Shot Peening
- Improve the life of the component.
- Improve compressive stresses.
- Removal of burrs and metal flashing.
- Removal of scale.
- Reducing the risk of surface cracks.
IST has a range of shot peening machines, enabling peening with glass bead and conditioned cut wire shot. Post-peening heat treatment is available as part of the service. Our extensive experience of shot peening springs ensures that we use the optimum process parameters to achieve the best performance for your springs.
The two Goodman diagrams on the right clearly show the benefits of Shot Peening, the peening process allowing the spring to have predictable behaviour over a wider range of loading.
IST’s shot peening service is unique – it is the only one of its kind dedicated specifically to enhancing the fatigue performance of springs, using the results of over 40 years of research – for both spring and non-spring components.
IST offers a complete service including:
- Steel, glass and ceramic media.
- Spring wire / section sizes from 0.3mm (0.012″) upwards.
- Full technical back-up.
- Rigorous quality control to ISO 9001.
Post peening services offered include:
- Low temperature heat treatment.
- Temporary corrosion protection.
- Pre-stressing to stablise dimensions.
- Acid dip and passivation for stainless steel springs.
- Fatigue testing to validate the efficiency of the shot peening process.
- Duplex peening and strain peening available for suitable applications.